Thursday, August 29, 2013

Students score Newtons - Thegardenisland.com

LIHUE — Bev Brody of Get Fit Kauai had her appointment with Mayor Bernard Carvalho Jr. interrupted Wednesday afternoon.

The interruption came when Tyler McCandless, two-time winner of the Kauai Marathon, was accompanied by Chelsea Smith Wishard, Kauai High School assistant cross country coach, with a large carton of Newton Running shoes.

“This solves my problem of kids asking what kind of shoes I use,” said Smith Wishard, herself a long distance runner. “I use Newton Running shoes and Tyler is giving 90 pairs of shoes for student athletes as part of the Kauai Marathon program.”

Brody, who describes herself as both a runner and a walker, did not lose a second in trying out the new footwear, relishing a pair that came in her favorite colors of pink and white.

“I’m not taking these off,” the excited Canadian said, climaxing the fitting with her loud laugh of happiness as the shoes fit. “Maybe I’ll wear them when I’m leading classes tonight.”

Brody, who participated in the inaugural Kauai Marathon, said she won’t be able to participate this year because she’ll be off-island.

Smith Wishard, a distance runner from her days as a student at Kauai High School, also lamented the fact she’ll be sidelined for the 2013 edition of The Kauai Marathon, which unfolds Sunday at 6 a.m. fronting the Poipu Shopping Village.

“I’ve been training for this the whole year,” Smith Wishard said. “But now, I’m burnt out for this year. I’m definitely going to work for next year.”

Mary Daubert, county public information officer, will be participating in the half marathon.

“I did the Kauai Marathon from the first time it ran,” Daubert said. “I walked the first two, but in 2011, I started to run. It was the Kauai Marathon which got me interested in running.”

Since then, Daubert has gone on to accumulate three first finishes in her age group, three second-place finishes, and one third-place in various races, both here and off-island.

“I try to get in five to eight races a year,” Daubert said. “Since I got started running, I’ve done a lot of races.”

The Kauai Marathon heads into its final stretch starting Friday when the Sports and Fitness Expo opens at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa starting at 10 a.m.

Deadline for registering is today.

Visit www.thekauaimarathon.com[1] for more information, or to register online.

© 2013 Thegardenisland.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[2]

References^ www.thekauaimarathon.com (www.thekauaimarathon.com) ^ © 2013 Thegardenisland.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. (thegardenisland.com)
Source:http://todayshoes.blogspot.com/2013/08/students-score-newtons.html

Students score Newtons - Thegardenisland.com Images

No comments:

Post a Comment